5 Things You Can Learn From the Joker
Recently, I was watching my absolute favorite movie of all time, The Dark Knight, and I couldn’t help myself from marveling over the one character that made that movie so special, The Joker. You see, the Joker (Heath Ledger) is such an interesting character to me, that behind all the negative things he does, I was able to find something I could learn from such a mastermind. Now, in no way am I promoting what the Joker does, I’m simply sharing my observations on how his habits could be used to better our lives. So, as odd as it may sound, here are 5 simple things you can learn from the Joker.
1. He just “does things” – The joker doesn’t talk. He does. Simple as that. How many of us in our daily lives say we’re going to do “such and such” at this time, or perhaps tomorrow or later? Well, tomorrow doesn’t exist for the joker. Whatever he does, he does it now. If you were to ask the joker, what the time is, he would say – the time is now. So taking away from what he actually does, if we could just apply the way he does things, it would be more beneficial to us. We wouldn’t sit around wasting time, thinking when we’ll do this or that. No, quite the contrary. Just like the joker, we’ll just “do things.”
2. What others think of him is their business – The Joker is the last person that is concerned about his image. Figures, right? I mean he dresses like a clown, but that’s not the point. What the joker does, he doesn’t do it for the image or public perception. He doesn’t want people to think he’s the baddest guy in town, he knows he’s the baddest guy in town. If others think so too, then that’s just gravy. Motivation is the last thing the joker needs, and as far as hatred and criticism go, the joker couldn’t care less. If we could just develop the sort of toughness the Joker possess, where we wouldn’t need the compliments of others to feel better about ourselves, or we wouldn’t get down on ourselves because we were criticized, life would become much easier.
3. Physical strength isn’t the “only” strength – If you’ve noticed, the Joker isn’t exactly the biggest guy in town. You don’t need to be biggest guy to be the strongest guy. Similarly, you don’t need to be the smartest to get the best jobs in the world. You just need to be smart “enough.” The Joker dominates at what he does in similar fashion. He utilizes his mental capabilities as he is a mastermind. He doesn’t rely on sheer strength or brute force. We all could do the same with our lives. Figure out our strengths and stop focusing on our weaknesses. Every person you meet in your life will be better than you at something.
4. It’s not about the money – For the Joker, money is nothing but paper with dead presidents on it. Now, I don’t mean to apply that to our lives to that extend. Money is important but it isn’t everything. The thing to understand about the Joker is that, he is not after the money, or the fame, or respect, or power, or women, or luxuries. He is not motivated by monetary gains. In a world where money is considered power, it’s tough to understand. But when you don’t focus on the money and just focus on doing the absolute best you can, then the money will come running towards you. Like the Joker says “It’s not about the money, it’s about sending a message.”
5. He just loves what he does – Plain and simple. This is why the Joker is the best at what he does. I don’t care how well you do something, but if you don’t love what your doing, then you won’t be the best at it. The Joker loves what he does. If we could just take this little advice and apply it to ourselves, think how much we’d be able to accomplish. This is what it’s all about. Finding something that you love doing, and simply doing it. And doing it because you enjoy. Not very many people are blessed to do what they love as their jobs, but for those of you who are, I commend you. It’s truly a pleasure watching people do what they love. It would make the world a much better place.